I am no longer an MEP for Yorkshire
and The Humber

About Linda McAvan

MEP office now closed

Whatever happens on Brexit, I have taken the decision to stand down as a Member of the European Parliament (MEP) and will not be seeking re-election if European Parliament elections take place on May 23rd as now expected. From today (18 April 2019) I will no longer be an MEP for Yorkshire and The Humber and my constituency office is also now closed. This means that my email is no longer monitored and I am not in a position to assist constituents or take on any casework on your behalf.

If you were looking on this website for help from me, I have included below some advice and links which may be helpful.

It has been an honour to serve my constituents over the last 21 years and I would like to thank you for your support.

With best wishes,

Linda McAvan

Useful Links for you…

European Elections: There’s information about the European elections on the Electoral Commission website and you can register to vote here.

MEPs: My colleague Richard Corbett remains an MEP and can be contacted on: richard@richardcorbett.org.uk

Find my MP: If you need help with national or EU issues, you can contact your local Member of Parliament (MP). You can find your local MP on the Houses of Parliament website here: https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/

Find my Council: If you have an issue with your local Council but do not know where to find or contact them, you can use the ‘Find your local council’ search tool on the UK Government website here: https://www.gov.uk/find-local-council

EU nationals: For EU nationals in the UK who need help or advice about settled or pre-settled status, please find guidance on the UK Government website here: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families

Citizens Advice: Citizens Advice provide help and advice on a range of issues including: benefits, work and money, debt, consumer, family, housing, law and courts, immigration and health. You can find their website here: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

EU sources of information:

There are a number of official EU websites that can provide free advice and help. If we leave the EU with no deal these services may not be available, however if they’re still available there is a summary below of what each website can help you with.

Europe Direct: is the EU’s information service. It answers general questions relating to the EU, particularly in areas such as EU rights and opportunities and how to exercise them. It does not answer specific queries but can point you in the right direction. Visit http://europa.eu/europedirect/index_en.htm

Your Europe Advice: offers basic legal advice on specific cases involving EU law and can advise you on national laws in relevant EU countries that relate to your situation. The service will not take up your case as a lawyer would but will clarify how EU law is likely to relate to your case. Visit http://ec.europa.eu/citizensrights/front_end/index_en.htm

Solvit: is a service that will take up cases of individuals to seek a solution in situations involving a cross-border element where EU law has not been applied correctly by an EU member state. You can submit a problem online to Solvit to see if EU law has been misapplied and therefore whether or not Solvit can help. If Solvit accepts a case, the Solvit centre in the UK will liaise with the centre in the relevant EU member state to try to resolve the matter without the need for you to resort to legal action. Visit http://ec.europa.eu/solvit/site/index_en.htm

If the UK still leaves the EU and you have an issue relating to the EU but these services are no longer available,
then you may need to contact your local MP for advice instead.