Carbon Monoxide Roundtable
13 December 2017
I was pleased to hold the 7th Carbon Monoxide (CO) Roundtable in the European Parliament last week, which I hosted jointly with COGDEM - the council of gas detection and environmental monitoring. Eleven years ago, two of my constituents, Christi (7) and Bobby Shepherd (6), went on holiday to Greece and didn't come home - they were killed by carbon monoxide fumes in their hotel in Corfu. Since then I've campaigned at EU level for improved CO safety standards to prevent such a tragedy happening again. However, even after so many years and seeing lots of different initiatives, there are still no set European-wide minimum standards regarding CO safety. So it was good to gather together campaigners from across different sectors to discuss further cooperation on crucial health and safety aspects in upcoming EU legislation, but also how we can take more joint practical steps and improve the safety of CO alarms, inspections and servicing of heating systems, as well as providing key training and qualifications requirements for professional inspectors. It was encouraging to see so many taking CO risks seriously.